Saturday, March 9, 2013

Plus (Three)

Head and Heart


A brief Lenten thought about how the Scripture is revealing me to myself:

The Myers-Briggs Type Indicator and the Clifton StrengthsFinder (both excellent tools we use with our FLI students) heartily agree upon this: I am prone to getting stuck inside my own head.

I think. A lot.

I used to suffer from "analysis paralysis," because I would think myself into a corner and then not be able to do anything. That's not really a problem any more (thank goodness!), but one thing I do still struggle with is the emotional aspect of my faith. I have a hard time feeling God's love for me. (Even though I know and believe that God loves me.)


One thing that has been cool about my Lenten reading of Scripture is that I have felt more deeply during this time. This leads me to believe that my thoughts, being more accessible to me, are the gateway to my emotions. It takes getting through the thinking level to reach the heart level. Somehow making more time to grasp the sweeping concepts of Scripture is provoking the emotions that are appropriate reactions to the unspeakable richness of those ideas.

This feels very healthy.


No comments:

Post a Comment